Saturday 9 November 2013

Art in Words-The Genesis

I never really thought I would do this again but well, here we are, i'm blogging, it's not like i don't write, i write short stories and novels, i even used to have a blog way back as '07 but wasn't into sitting much hitting on the keyboard and people don't read, and also right now I get really busy designing so I don't have time to type, but I guess now I can make out time to do this...at least to let you (and the haters) know me better, so many enemies you make doing business in Nigeria, they want you to do jobs for free forgetting you pay bills, huh?, anyways that's by the way.


Allow me to introduce myself, i am Oluwadamilola Apara, simply known as 'Damyl', even though my Mum would insist you call my name in full...lol, I'm a Graphic Artist, A Photographer and more...but this blog is just about my graphic side so I'll try as much as possible to keep it that way. I won't bore you with sorry tales about me, but I think you should know where it all started...

...way back in high school, I use to help my mates to write names on their new textbooks and note books, It all started when i helped my classmate sitting beside me to write his name, he liked the way it was done, showed others and it went viral, and then i got known and from there started helping them to draw their science diagrams too, you know, the digestive system, skeletal system, reproductive system(my favourite...lol) and all.

I was just doing it for fun and popularity I guess, cause well the girls get to come to my locker and you know what...the pretty ones get to have a hand-made card from me, I was innocent though but I just kinda liked girls, they were(are) more inspiring and I could connect with them more...I have three sisters and I'm the only male so you can understand where i got it from...;)

I never really intended to make money off art, I was in science department, but when students from other departments started coming too with their project and assignment cardboards, it was getting too much so for me not to turn them back, they introduced making it 'easy' by offering me money, I was so innocent then that I would refuse cause I felt it wasn't right to collect money from my mates(after all they were my peers, we have same money), well, so I thought.

To cut it all short, I started making money off it, it was small though , but I had extra cash to buy more buns and zobo drink(my daily combo then). and also share with my friends, and then the big one came, rich kids in school were coming to me to draw comics for them and they were paying more and that was how the business part started.

All this while, my parents didn't like the idea of me drawing' I was barred from using pencils at a time(I used biros when they were not watching) that made me to learn how to draw with little or no mistakes, I can't even dare to draw in the house so all i did starts and ends in school, but after some time they let me be cause they saw I was truly passionate about it.

Then towards the end of High School, Hip hop was gaining ground in Nigeria, Plantashun Boiz, Remedies and...can't remember others but those two groups kinda inspired me so I started writing songs myself and poems, moving me away from drawing, so sitting at home then all I did was write songs...so drawing was slowly leaving me.

Got admission into the University and Music was still in my head, still writing songs and just like the normal artiste saying, "i wan blow" and I totally wasn't drawing again except on very rare occasions, I studied Computer Science (which later helped me with this digital art) I wasn't really about school cause I thought I should just get the certificate to please my Parents and do my Music.

Oops! My bad!, I said I was going to stay on the graphic side...but there is no way other sides won't pop up, well, hope i didn't bore you with my tales, just wanted to let you in into how it all started, to cut it all short I quit Music but don't be surprised if you see me on your TV tomorrow...but for now I'm an artist not an artiste.

This blog is going to be my voice that most people don't get to hear,(some people think i'm a meanie) you'll get to know the person 'Damyl', how I feel from my heart, my thoughts, as well as tips and tutorials for people that want to try out what I do, freebies...it's art in words.

22 comments:

  1. Good read, I thought you were a machine.lols

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been on my blackberry for ages, and what I mostly see you do is change your DPs designed by you...didn't know you could write this well.iLike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspiring! I'm a graphic artist too though but i be small boy for where you dey...wouldn't mind learning from you o ogami

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep it up Damyl! You are multi talented nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm impressed Damyl, not a bit bored.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had fun reading,interesting post but why did you quit music again to go back to your first love? Flirty traits is in you, Hope you have a girlfriend?, pretty girls lover......lolz

    ReplyDelete
  7. oni oluwadamilola9 November 2013 at 08:52

    Keep it up damyl,my name is oluwadamilola also am so proud 2 be ur name sake am a female anyways ,ur giving a very good inspiration ,God bless ur hustle"started frm d bottom nw ur ere".

    ReplyDelete
  8. First post and I'm loving it already.keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job Damyl, you are really good, I like your works

    ReplyDelete
  10. So you can sing too.....hmmm..... I'm loving you more o! I wanna know too, do you have a girlfriend?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Inspiring n Interesting piece... Now we getting to know who Damyl really is. I think am gonna be stuck up on dz blog site just to know more abt U! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. U killd it hun,no dull moment readin tru dis post,its lyk knowin u al ova again... Vry 9ce piece 4rm a pleasant person,knew u v got a future in dis n I bliv in u n also support u al d way... Big hug***

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ash !!! Ololo gwan gwan..tell dem,dey nid 2no.... 9iceness !!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful post! I wasn't bored at all, please keep doing what you do, I'm proud to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Na sin if I no talk am, Dude you are DOPE!, ur works are different and awesome! The sky is the starting point because you dey high already.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Damyl toh badt! Keep it up padi mi of life!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Am proud of u swts kip it up d Lord is ur strength...kip making me proud am always wiv u.muuaaahhhh

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great jobs man! One luv!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice post! Now I know somethings I didn't know

    ReplyDelete
  20. Waa Last Baba! Big ups to Naija's Best Graphic Artiste

    ReplyDelete
  21. And Damyl My Paddy is doing well again. Gracious Bro!

    ReplyDelete